Wednesday, September 24, 2014

BELIEVE MEMPHIS!!


Today is my last day in Memphis for at least a very long time. I had already packed so I got to spend the majority of the day reminiscing on this great city. I remember when we lived in Greenville, and dad told us we were moving to Memphis, Tennessee, my first response was, "isn't that a major port along the Mississippi River?!" I had just learned about the Mississippi in social studies recently and that was the first time I had ever heard of this Memphis place. I remember when we visited and stayed at the Embassy Suites on Shady Grove back when it was all undeveloped. I remember visiting PDS and being fascinated by the idea of an all boys school. I remember watching gym class and thinking it looked like they were doing some kind of military training. But my biggest memory of that visit was learning about Second's plans to renovate the sanctuary and have balconies... wait for it...ON THE SIDES! Obviously another foreign idea to me. I couldn't wait to explain that concept to everyone in my Sunday School class at MRPC when we got back. It was a very fun and exciting visit to our new city.

Whenever I think about our first year in Memphis, it always makes me think about how much its changed for the better and how different thing are now. What used to be a bunch of abandoned apartment buildings surrounded by a forest of dead trees became the hottest new shopping center in East Memphis. It's been amazing watching the transformation of this city as the years went by. Remember when there was no Carriage Crossing? Remember when the only thing on Winchester past 385 was Olive Garden? Remember when we went to Grizzlies games in the Pyramid? It seems like forever ago, but these huge changes have all happened in just a few short years. I can't even imagine how different it will be in two or three more years.

I have been so blessed these 13 years with amazing friends, formidable enemies, prestigious schools, intelligent teachers, fantastic food, inspirational architecture, and so much more. Memphis will be very missed. It'll be weird talking about it, but not coming back soon after. God has blessed this city a ton since I've gotten here, and I know he has big plans for this place in the future. BELIEVE MEMPHIS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment