Thursday, July 16, 2015

Don't Forget Who Put You Here

I've been reflecting over my time in Asia lately and while it's been an interesting and exciting journey, the vast number of different struggles is what makes the last 9 months an experience.

When I was in Thailand with very little money, it was easy to rely on God because it was the only way. Everything I had was precious, down to the last penny. Well, whatever version of the penny I was using. Anything extra was always saved and luxury could not and would not be afforded. Things were tight. The tightest of them being my Savior and me. We were like best friends, always talking and spending time together. God was my luxury. He always made me feel safe and protected when I thought I needed it, and even when I didn't think I needed it. Look at all the posts from before April and you'll see. God gives great unsolicited help. That's part of what makes him not just God, but a good God.

My Chinese family and I were watching "Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" last week. One of my favorite lines from the movie is at the end when Lucy is talking to Tumnus and she asked if Aslan was tame. Tumnus said, "No, but he's good." Disappointingly, that's not how the book worded it. The book uses the word "safe." And I like that much better. God is not safe. He is powerful to the most extreme. Don't you know what should have happened to us had it not been for Jesus' sacrifice? In the book, Edmund is suppose to die on the stone table, but Aslan takes his place. Even watching it in the movie made me tear up a little because I, like Edmund, know what my sins are. And what's even harder and more embarrassing is that God knows what my sins are, but he loved my enough to put himself in that awful spot to save me, to save us.

Speaking of being in China, it's almost 100% the complete opposite of living in Thailand. Everything is expendable, we throw money at every problem. We have so much extra and everything is luxurious. If it's a luxury and we don't have it, we get it. We have so much that we don't need. I am part of the staff for a family of 4 that includes me, the au pair, Lee and Mr. Jiang, the drivers, and Ayi, the housekeeper. So there is literally a staff member for every member of the family. Pretty good ratio right? Wonna know what's interesting? My family has less money and we're more happy. You'd think that people would have figured that out by now. Money does not equal happiness.

In this life of luxury where I have more than I ever imagined, I've forgotten who put me here. Spoiler alert: it's that same guy who took care of me in Thailand. Only now, I often feel like I don't need Him anymore. It's not a conscious thought, but it's like ignoring a friend. We never spend time together or talk much anymore. I told my dad, someone more theologically advanced than me should write a book on how to live a God-filled life in a money-filled home. The only problem with that is that most people in a money-filled home would not want to read a book about why they're doing it wrong. Not that all wealthy people are doing it wrong--you know what I mean.

Something I try to remind myself is, one, God put me here, I didn't get here on my own. And two, God put me in this for a reason. It's not a secret reason; He put me here to glorify Him. It really is that simple. God is great at organization and He's put us all in different places and situations that best fit out gifts and abilities so we can do our best to glorify Him. MUCH easier said than done. But God listens to the prayers of those who have a lot just as much as he listens to those that have nothing.

So remember, reader, that whatever situation God has placed you, you only have one goal. So do it well.

1 comment:

  1. this article touched me in more ways than words can explain but you a man of God and you know how God works he leads us to things so we can hear what his telling us through many of his powerful ways and this helped me today. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete